Our school curriculum has been created to meet the needs of Trentham students and empower them to learn for the future. Therefore, we offer the full range of learning areas from the New Zealand curriculum but have a particular focus on Numeracy and Literacy as we believe that competency in these basic fields is essential.
We use an integrated-inquiry approach for the other learning areas of Science, Social Sciences, Technology and the Arts. Literacy and Numeracy are interwoven throughout, as are opportunities to develop thinking, inquiry and ICT skills. Regular Health and PE programmes are also provided.
Throughout teaching and learning programmes students are encouraged to problem solve, take risks, question, express their views, make decisions, persevere, collaborate, and begin to take ownership of their learning. These skills are necessary for our students to be successful in the future.
Opportunities at Trentham School:
- Pre School entry – Sunflower Club/class visits
- Daily Discovery Programme for New Entrant and Year 1 children to provide hands on activities to develop academic, social and physical skills
- Commitment to the best possible achievement for individual students especially in Literacy and Numeracy
- Access to our values based programme aimed at meeting the needs of our children
- School wide Education Outside the Classroom programmes
- Learning Assistance programmes that target areas of need e.g. Special Needs Programme, English as a Second Language, Reading Recovery, Parent Reading Tutors, Teacher Aide Support, and Behaviour Management Programmes
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) option for Year 5/6 students
- Extension classes for more able learners
- Te Reo Maori with a kaiako
- Te Roopu Mahi Toi (kapa haka) cultural group
- Student responsibility/leadership involvement is encouraged e.g. School Leaders, Peer Mediators, School Patrols, Office Hosts, Assembly Hosts
- Interschool sports tournaments for a range of sporting codes
- Out of school interschool sports supported by parents e.g. Netball, Miniball, Flippaball
- Breakfast Club twice a week
- Lunchtime Clubs
- Well-resourced and maintained learning environment, e.g. Library, student devices (iPads and Chromebooks), Heated Indoor Swimming Pool, Hall, Adventure Playgrounds, sandpits and large attractive grounds